The low cost and high performance of Cummins ISL make it the ideal choice for a broad range of trucks, from LTL carriers with day cabs to dump trucks, refuse haulers and mixers. Six Sigma practices help to ensure reliability and durability, while design modifications for 2007 make the ISL run cleaner, with excellent power and fuel economy. The VGT™ Turbocharger even functions as an exhaust brake, for better stopping power and vehicle control.
How did we make all these improvements and still meet stringent emissions controls? With a totally integrated system that includes our proven cooled- EGR subsystem, a High Pressure Common Rail fuel injection system, the patented VGT Turbocharger, Cummins Particulate Filter and a crankcase ventilation system.
For more information on this engine, view the ISL9 spec sheet.
Cummins PowerSpec is an electronic tool that makes it possible to tailor the operation of Cummins engines in every on-highway application.
See ISL PowerSpec Engine Features
||345-365 Hp (257-272 kw)
||1150-1250 Lb-ft (1559-1695 N•m)
|Clutch Engagement Torque
||550 Lb-ft (746 N•m)
|Number of Cylinders
|Oil System Capacity
||7.3 U.S. Gallons (27.6 Liters)
||1,685 Lb (764 kG)
||1,635 Lb (742 kG)
||(50 Lb 23 kG)
*Increase over standard muffler
Product Finder Specifications
345 - 365 hp
/ 257 - 272 kW
1150 - 1250 lb-ft
/ 1559 - 1695 N•m
||Advertised HP (kW)
||Peak Torque Lb-Ft (Nm) @ RPM
||1250 (1695) @ 1400
||1150 (1559) @ 1400
Additional ratings may be available. Check with your Cummins distributor or dealer.
Cummins ISL delivers the power, performance and operating efficiency that is unrivaled in its class. Benefits of this leading-edge design include:
- Cooled Exhaust Gas Recirculation – Lowers combustion temperatures for reduced emissions and optimized mpg.
- Cummins Particulate Filter – Fully integrated for uncompromising performance, reliability. Cummins design allows regeneration even in adverse operating conditions. Reduces particulate matter more than 90%.
- Crankcase Ventilation System – Electronically managed for optimum efficiency. Does not add parasitic load or complexity to the engine. Coalescing filter is easily serviced, only needing replacement every 2 years, 2,000 hours or 80,000 miles (128,000 km).
- Fully Integrated Electronic Controls – A single ECM (Electronic Control Module) controls the engine and aftertreatment. Also coordinates interaction with the transmission, ABS, engine brake, cooling fan and more.
- Variable Geometry Turbocharger – Enhanced response and control with electric actuation for infinite adjustment, providing exact boost across the operating range. Sliding nozzle design increases reliability, durability.
- Enhanced High Pressure Common Rail Fuel System – Delivers optimum balance of performance, emissions control and fuel economy across the entire operating range.
Enhanced Reliability and Durability
Cummins ISL is designed for years of dependable service:
- Targeted piston cooling, roller followers and articulated steel-top pistons increase durability.
- A combination full-flow and bypass oil filter extends piston ring and bearing life.
- The engine block and cylinder head have been redesigned to provide increased strength.
- High-efficiency lube cooler lowers oil temperatures for long life.
- A coalescing filter virtually eliminates oil blowby.
- Coolant flow has been optimized and balanced, effectively reducing cylinder temperatures.
- C BrakeTM by Jacobs® is a compression brake designed specifically for the ISL. It provides up to 252 braking horsepower and reduces wear on service brakes.
- Water-in-fuel sensor alerts drivers of contamination that could cause performance and durability problems.
- Rear Engine Power Take-Off (REPTO) is available to meet auxiliary power needs.
Gearing and Transmission Recommendations
The ISL matches well with all types of mechanical and automatic transmissions. The optimum balance of performance and fuel economy with direct or overdrive transmissions in regional LTL and vocational applications is achieved when the ISL is geared to cruise in the 1600-1900 rpm range.
In vocational and P&D applications using automatic transmissions, it is best to select the proper rear axle ratio for the vehicle’s tire size and desired top road speed.
Log on to powerspec.cummins.com for more gearing recommendations.
- INSITE™ – For years Cummins INSITE software has been making it easy for technicians to troubleshoot, repair and service our electronic engines through easy-to-follow steps on your computer. Providing the kind of uptime you demand from your trucks.
- QuickServe® Online – The right information is priceless. Things change so rapidly today, you can’t afford to take a chance on outdated information. Paper manuals and CD-ROMs can’t always keep pace with ever-changing parts and service information. You need the most current information – continuously updated – every minute of every day. The Internet is the answer. QuickServe Online is your complete reference for Cummins parts and service information on the Internet. For more information, contact your Cummins distributor or log on to quickserve.cummins.com.
Cummins base engine coverage* is 2 years/250,000 miles (402,336 km), whichever occurs first. It covers virtually everything at no additional cost.
* Plan covers defects in materials or factory workmanship.
A variety of extended coverage plans are available for ISL engines in every application. Contact your local Cummins dealer or distributor for details.
Every Question. Answered.
- Service Network – Cummins engines are backed by nearly 3,500 authorized parts and service outlets in North America.
- Customer Assistance Center – Call the Cummins specialists for technical assistance and service locations at 1-800-DIESELS™ (1-800-343-7357) Customer Assistance Center.
Cummins E-Mail – For online assistance with Cummins-related questions, click on the Contact Us link in the header at cumminsengines.com
Cummins Web Site – For product literature or additional information, go to cumminsengines.com
- Cummins Online Registration – Register all your Cummins engines quickly and easily at cumminsengines.com to ensure quality parts and service for your engine.
ISL Maintenance Intervals
|Oil and Filter
|Primary Fuel Filter
|Secondary Fuel Filter
|Particulate Filter Cleaning
||200,000-400,000 MI (320,000-640,000 KM)
* If engine is equipped with an optional coolant filter, it will need to be replaced on the
same intervals as the oil filter.
The Cummins Particulate Filter is designed to last the life of
your engine. Regeneration is fully automated and controlled
by the ECM. See Owner’s Manual for complete details.
|NRP - DPF There Is A Difference Brochure
|NRP - DPF There Is A Difference Brochure (French)
|NRP - DPF There Is A Difference Brochure (Spanish)