SmartEfficiency: High-Achieving and Cost-Lowering
The Cummins SmartEfficiency initiative is a focused approach that improves uptime and reliability and providing a broad spectrum of engine choices to meet every need. The combination of a low cost of operation, high reliability, clean operation and long-term durability are unsurpassed in the industry. The fact that all Cummins engines use the same control system technology and can be serviced at any authorized Cummins location ensures serviceability anywhere, anytime.
Manufactured at the Rocky Mount Engine Plant in North Carolina, and building off a legacy of over 27 years and 5 million engines produced, the L9 is reliable, proven, and Buy-America compliant. Transit managers can expect a 15% fuel economy improvement compared to buses purchased 10 years ago, while still getting the best power-to-weight ratio from an engine in its class.
For better reliability in 2017 and going forward, with transit ratings, an isolated coolant loop – a water-to-water heat exchanger – will be engine mounted to provide heat for passenger compartments as needed, while providing a self-contained coolant flow to the engine. This new approach reduces the chance for coolant leakage and air infiltration for better Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Cooler reliability and durability.
Connected Diagnostics: Smarter Route Management with Connected Diagnostics
Transit bus drivers have enough to pay attention to without being concerned about engine fault codes. In the rare event that one is triggered while the bus is in operation, it can be diagnosed immediately over the air, through the addition of Connected Diagnostics. Cummins Connected Diagnostics delivers real-time engine fault code analysis, with a probable diagnosis and a recommended action for school buses that are equipped with telematics.
||720-1,250 lb ft
|Clutch Engagement Torque
||500-550 lb ft
|Number of Cylinders
|Engine Weight (Dry)
Engine Finder Specifications
||Advertised HP (Kw)
||Peak Torque Lb-Ft (N•m)@RPM
||720 (977) @ 1300
||800 (1,086) @ 1300
||860 (1,167) @ 1300
||1,000 (1,357) @ 1300
||1,150 (1,561) @ 1300
||1,250 (1,696) @ 1300
||1,250 (1,696) @ 1300
Cummins designs, develops and supports every component, from the air handling to the exhaust aftertreatment, to work as a totally integrated system – so we can optimize every function better than other engine manufacturers.
• VGT Turbo from Cummins Turbo Technologies - This patented design is widely recognized as an industry performance leader. The refined design improves responsiveness in the B6.7 while an upgraded bearing system increases overall robustness. The VGT Turbo is a key element in providing increased fuel economy and exceptional braking horsepower
• Connected Diagnostics™ - Wirelessly connect your engine to Cummins through a telematics device for immediate diagnosis of a fault alert. Within seconds, Connected Diagnostics provides a clear recommendation for continued operation or the need for service.
• XPI Fuel System - Delivers superior performance even in lower engine rpm ranges. Enables multiple injection events per cycle, for improved fuel efficiency with quieter, smoother operation.
• Cummins Modular Aftertreatment from Cummins Emissions Solutions – Due to the unique challenges with creating consistent exhaust temperatures in Transit applications, the L9 in transit applications will continue to leverage the product experience from the modular aftertreatment system. This system comprised of a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) and Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) technology provides the best solution for reliability and durability for the Transit duty cycle.
• Fuel Filters And Lube Filters From Cummins Filtration - Fleetguard® filters protect against corrosion and contaminants with innovative NanoNet® technology. NanoNet media provides 10 times better protection than conventional fuel filters for lower cost of operation.
• Single High-Capacity Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Offers higher capacity for faster processing of more information, fully integrated control over the engine and aftertreatment system for optimized performance and improved engine lamp strategy.
|2017 Transit And Shuttle Bus Brochure