Whether you are mining copper in the Andes or oil sand in Alberta, the Cummins QSK78 provides the optimal combination of productivity and performance in the world's largest class of haul trucks. Its 3500-horsepower (2610 kW) V18 configuration incorporates the best features of our QSK Series engines, including advanced combustion technology and robust base engine components.
Electronically programmable parameters let you customize engine performance to match the equipment, the environment, and operator requirements. Plus, the QSK78 comes with standard features like ELIMINATORTM, CENTINELTM, and Prelub™, which help eliminate downtime for routine maintenance, and lengthen life-to-overhaul. Put that together with exceptional fuel efficiency, and you have the lowest cost-per-ton of any engine in its class.
Every QSK78 engine is covered by Cummins base warranty, one of the most comprehensive and simplest plans in the industry.
||60o Vee, 18-Cylinder
||4735 cu in
||10157 lb-ft @ 1500 rpm
|Bore and Stroke
||6.69 in x 7.48 in
||170 mm x 190 mm
Intercooled and Aftercooled
|Oil System Capacity
||304 U.S. qt
||236 U.S. qt
Engine Finder Specifications
/ 2610 kW
/ 13771 N•m
||Advertised hp (kW) @ rpm
||Peak Torque lb-ft (N•m) @ rpm
||3500 (2610) @ 1900
||10157 (13771) @ 1500
- One-Piece Cast-Iron Block - designed to absorb dynamic internal forces. Wide cylinder spacing allows for multiple full-life overhauls.
- Heavy-Duty Front Gear Train - A modification of the proven QSK60 design that has low gear loading and high fatigue strength for dependable service.
- Forged High-Strength Tensile Steel Crankshaft - Combined with dual viscous dampers reduces gear train wear. Tungsten counterwieghts provide vibration damping for long engine and equipment life.
- Quantum System Electronics - High-speed Electronic Control Module (ECM) with a self-cooling mount is isolated from detrimental vibration loading. A field-proven, fully-sealed wiring harness with fail-safe connectors integrates the ECM with the engine sensors for optimized engine performance, monitoring and protection. Quantum system technology is ideal for tough mining applications that demand continuous uptime carrying hundreds of tons capacity.
- High-Pressure Injection (HPI) Fuel System - Provides a high-peak injection pressure for optimum combustion for low emissions and better fuel economy. HPI fuel injection provides a “soft” injection start for lower combustion noise. Other benefits include excellent cold-starting characteristics and improved transient response at all engine speeds.
- Two-stage Holset® Turbocharging from Cummins Turbo Technologies - Delivers full power and exceptional fuel efficiency at up to an industry-leading 16,400 ft (5,000 meters) altitude without derate.
- Wiring - Safely enclosed inside a foam-filled extruded aluminum channel and is completely sealed from the external environment to prevent chafing and corrosion damage. DIN-style connections have a locking feature that protects against pin-fretting damage.
- Prelub™ System - Distributes oil to rifles and friction surfaces and builds oil pressure before cranking can occur, reducing engine wear and greatly extending life-to-rebuild.
- CENSE™ - Provides continuous monitoring of engine performance, cylinder-by-cylinder. Fault codes are logged and reported with operational data for quick and accurate diagnosis and repair.
- Premium Fan Drive – Incorporates large matched and sealed bearings, improved oil seals, and an improved idler system. The fan drives have fixed fan centers with tensioning provided by a manually adjusted and maintenance free idler. The fan drive is available with or without an electronically controlled oil-actuated fan clutch.
- CENTINEL™ Continuous Oil Replacement System - Extends oil drain and extends oil filter life, while improving the protective quality of engine oil. Minimizes oil disposal costs, reduces downtime and increases productivity.
- ELIMINATOR™ - Self-cleaning filtration system comes standard and combines full-flow and bypass filters with an oil-pressure-powered centrifuge. Stainless steel filter screens trap particles as small as 20 microns; centrifuge removes particles as small as 2 microns.
View a printable file of the Eliminator™ and Centinel™ brochure.
|Centinel / Eliminator Brochure
|QSK78 Engines For Mining Applications Spec Sheet